Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Did someone really try to hand me a flier on communism?

The group for dinner, left to right: Chris, Me, Tammy, Maria, Sam
Today marks one week of being in Italy, and life is just starting to calm down. My feet are throbbing, and I think I walk on average 5 miles a day. No joke. This past week has been super crazy, with many ups and downs. I found an apartment after being here for 3 days, but am yet to cook a dinner in it. The apartment, at the moment, consists of a German girl, a Spanish boy and an Italian boy. My room is a double, and we are currently looking for another girl to live with me. It’s a nice place, with a bathroom, a large kitchen, and a large living room. My room is fairly large too. I over look the one of the main streets leaving the center of town, Via Matteotti, and I'm 2 blocks from the train station. Luckly the windows are double paned, so once they are shut, you can’t hear the hussle and bussle of the city below. There is also a small balcony that is through the kitchen and overlooks the courtyard.
Fountain of Neptune

To make my room homier, I embarked on an adventure to IKEA with several girls that I’ve meet over the past few days. My friend Tammy (a girl from Scotland) and I headed over to Piazza Malpighi to catch the bus to IKEA, and meet up with the others. In a way, this week has been like the first week at Carolina, with learning a million people’s names. The biggest difference is most of the names I can’t pronounce on the first try. The easy one is Hanna, a girl from Sweden, then there is Stephanie (but not pronounced like we would say it) from Austria, and Silke, Teresa, Luccia, all from Germany. We ended up missing the stop for IKEA, and had to get off at the next stop and wait for the returning bus. Then, when we made it to the correct stop, we had to walk for about 30 to 40 minutes to get to IKEA. Our adventure in IKEA was wonderful, and I ended up dropping about $120 (80 Euros) ouch! Oh well, I need the blankets, sheets and pillows anyways.

Walking back from the park, Hanna (left) and Tammy (right)

In the morning yesterday, Tammy and I also went grocery shopping, which was actually a lot of fun. Italian grocery stores are amazing! Absolutely amazing! I got two quart or so sized containers of olives for less than 2 Euros, sliced prosciutto and salami for about 2 Euros each, good olive oil and balsamic vinegar, 3 types of cheeses, bread, stuff for salads, pasta and breakfast food. All of that plue shampoo and conditoner was under 35 euro!

For dinner the past two nights, we cooked at Tammy’s, which has been piu economico! (Very cheap!) It will be my turn to cook Wednesday, before we head out to a garden party.

Dinner at Tammy's, Maarten cooking!

Sunday was also a fun day full of adventure. During the afternoon, I meet Maarten, a english and spanish student from Germany, and several other Germans for un gelato and a late lunch. I think I might be learning for German this year than I expected, because most of the people I’ve meet have been German! Later, Chris (the London bloke) met up with us and we headed to Giardini Margherita, a large garden in the south of the city, where we chilled for most of the evening.

Saturday was the Erasmas Student Network (ESN) beach trip, which was a blast. (Erasmas is the program for all E.U. students to have the chance to spend a year in another E.U. country studying, but other exchange students like me join the group too!) We arrived in Ravenna via bus around 1:30, and spent the day in the sand. It was a bit too windy and cloudy for me to go swimming, but I put my feet in the water just to say I’ve been in the Adriatic Sea. The trip cost included 2 beers, but we found out that that really meant we got two 3 Euro coupons and if you wanted something else, you could get it too. Around 9 or so the disco started up, and we danced the night away on the beach to techno. After a long day, we got back in Bologna around 3am, and I’ve never slept better.

The other days this past week have been a blur, filled with appointments, lots and lots of walking, and trying to understand the city and the language.

Basilica di San Petronio

Today I’m taking it easy, study some Italian, send lots of emails, and let my feet recover a bit. Tomorrow will be another crazy day, with my language class starting, so I’m going to take another deep breath and continue trying to adapt the Italian lifestyle.

Le Due Torri

8 Comments:

At September 8, 2009 at 10:07 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that you have a friend named Tammy--can't go wrong! IKEA in Italy--who knew! Love it. Love your posts and will look forward to living through you as I sling laundry, listen to crying whining children and change diapers in my oh so glam life here in Charlotte. Aunt Tammy

 
At September 8, 2009 at 11:32 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmmm...looks like the men out number the women in the apt so keep your options open for one of those Mama's boys over there---good thing you found the grocery store so you can start perfecting a meal---looks like you have settled in very nicely and having a blast! be safe and have lots of fun!!! Uncle Mark

 
At September 8, 2009 at 1:39 PM , Anonymous kerry said...

Sarah - i would gladly be the other girl in the apartment! too bad i'm across the ocean. =( i'll be following your blog to see how you're doing. best of luck! -- kerry

 
At September 8, 2009 at 2:25 PM , Blogger Lisa Aszklar said...

Sounds like you're having fun! What an adventure! Just watch out for those Italian Lotharios!
Aunt Lisa

 
At September 8, 2009 at 2:37 PM , Anonymous Nicko said...

Who is the Ben guy from UNC? I wanna know if I know him too, haha.

But yay german and sweden, ja?

 
At September 9, 2009 at 2:58 PM , Blogger Alison said...

Sarah,

It sounds like your year abroad is off to a delightful start! I'm so glad that you have this opportunity, and I look forward to checking in from time to time.

Having recently watched 14 UNC students spend a semester in Havana, my one, completely unsolicited piece of advice is this: enjoy everything, even the parts that seem wholly unenjoyable.

Wishing you an intellectually fruitful and culturally rich experience.

All best,
Allison

 
At September 10, 2009 at 10:05 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Sarah,
Great blog! It sounds like you have "thought on your feet" and survived a very stressful situation and have successfully found a place and are making tons of new friends! Kudos to you! I got your e mail and will keep you posted as to when I can get there. Looking forward to it too! THought perhaps this coming week but I doubt it. Yes to Italy, yes to London, yes to Paris? Any other questions? You must drink it all in , this is a very special experience for you. Make lots of friends, absorb the culture and learn!! Miss ya, stay in touch, XXOO Aunt Jane, aka "Jane".

 
At September 10, 2009 at 10:09 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home